Author: Rishabh Dubey
Assignment rules in salesforce are used to automatically assign lead or Case to owner (User Or Queue). Assignment rule is used to automate owner assignment on Case and Lead based on conditions on Case or Lead. For example, there could on lead assignment rule for web-generated leads and one case assignment rule for the holiday use.
Type of Assignment Rule
Salesforce has provided assignment rule for 2 Standard objects only
- Lead Assignment Rules
- Case Assignment Rule
Lead Assignment Rule : Specify how leads are assigned to users or queues as they are created manually, captured from the web, or imported via the Data Import Wizard or Dataloader.
Case Assignment Rule : Determine how cases are assigned to users or put into queues as they are created manually, using Web-to-Case, Email-to-Case, On-Demand Email-to-Case, the Self-Service portal, the Customer Portal.
Setting Up assignment Rule
- From Setup, enter Assignment Rules in the Quick Find box, then select either Lead Assignment Rules or Case Assignment Rules.
- Choose New, and then give the rule a name. Specify whether you want this to be the active rule for leads or cases created manually and via the web and email. Then click Save.
Note : At any Point of time there can be only one active assignment rule (One for Lead & on for Case, So if there is already an active rule and you create a new active rule for same object the new rule will be active and the previous rule will be deactivated)
- To create the rule entries, click New. For each entry, you can specify:
- Order : Sets the order in which the entry will be processed in the rule, for example, 1, 2, 3. Salesforce evaluates each entry in order and tries to match the criteria of the entry. As soon as a match is found, Salesforce processes the item and stops evaluating the rule entries for that item. If no match is found, the item is reassigned to either the default Web-to-Lead owner, the administrator doing a lead import, or the default case owner.
- Criteria :Specifies conditions that the lead or case must match for it to be assigned.Enter your rule criteria.
Choose criteria are met and select the filter criteria that a record must meet to trigger the rule.For example, set a case filter to Priority equals High if you want case records with the Priority field marked High to trigger the rule. If your organization uses multiple languages, enter filter values in your organization’s default language. You can add up to 25 filter criteria, of up to 255 characters each. When you use picklists to specify filter criteria, the selected values are stored in the organization’s default language. If you edit or clone existing filter criteria, first set the Default Language on the Company Information page to the same language that was used to set the original filter criteria. Otherwise, the filter criteria may not be evaluated as expected.
Choose formula evaluates to true and enter a formula that returns a value of “True” or “False.” Salesforce triggers the rule if the formula returns “True.” For example, the formula AND(ISCHANGED( Priority ), ISPICKVAL (Priority, “High”) ) triggers a rule that changes the owner of a case when the Priority field is changed to High. If your condition uses a custom field, the rule entry will be deleted automatically if the custom field is deleted.
- User : Specifies the user or queue to which the lead or case will be assigned if it matches the condition. Users specified here cannot be marked “inactive” and they must have “Read” permission on leads or cases.
- Do Not Reassign Owner : Specifies that the current owner on a lead or case will not be reassigned to the lead or case when it is updated.
- Email Template : We can specifies the template to use for the email that is automatically sent to the new owner. If no template is specified, no email will be sent. When assigning a lead or case to a queue, the notification goes to the Queue Email address specified for the queue and all queue members.
- Predefined Case Teams : Specifies the predefined case team(s) to add to a case when it matches the condition. A case team is a group of people that work together to solve cases.
- Replace any existing predefined case teams on the case : Specifies that any existing predefined case teams on the case are replaced with the predefined case teams on the condition, when a case matches the condition.
After creating the entry, click Save, or Save & New to save the entry and create more entries.
Requirement : On Account we have a Picklist field called Region, The field has 4 values AMER,LATAM,EMEA & APAC. We have below Queues in our Org
AMER Case Queue
LATAM Case Queue
EMEA Case Queue
APAC Case Queue
We want an assignment rule that will assign cases created for Account that have Region Amer to AMER Case Queue, Same for other values
Step 1. Go to Setup Search for “Case Assignment Rule”
Step 2. Click on new name the Rule “Case Assignment By Region”
Step 3. In Rule entries Section click on new fill below details
- Sort Order =1
- Rune this rule if the = Criteria are met (Account : Region equal AMER)
- Queue = AMER Case Queue
Step 4 : Click on save and new and perform the same steps for rest of region
To test the Assignment rule Create a case for an Account where Region= Amer, While creating the case manually make sure to check the “Assign using active assignment rule” Check box. This can be set as default from Case Page Layout Properties.
If you are unable to see this checkbox even after enabling it from “Page Layout properties”, Please make sure that assignment rule is active.