Author: Pulkit Bindal
It is common practice to design, implement, manage, and monitor APIs and integrations using the Anypoint Platform. Dynatrace is a well-liked application performance monitoring (APM) tool that aids in tracking and improving the efficiency of infrastructure and applications. We’ll talk about using Dynatrace to monitor Anypoint Platform APIs in this blog post. We’ll go over how to set up ActiveGate on Windows, construct an Anypoint Connected App in Anypoint Platform, utilize the Dynatrace Hub extension, and send the Connected App Client ID and Client Secrets to the custom Extension.
To make sure that their applications are operating effectively and seamlessly, enterprises must monitor the MuleSoft Anypoint Platform. That said, it was not always an easy procedure. MuleSoft started out with a manual monitoring technique that took a lot of time and effort. To find problems and improve performance, developers would need to manually go over logs, analytics, and other data.
Thanks to these and other tools and capabilities, monitoring the MuleSoft Anypoint Platform is now simpler than ever. With the use of these technologies, businesses can make sure that their apps are operating at peak efficiency, spot problems early, and learn important details about their general performance. This enables improved client experiences, increased operational effectiveness, and commercial success.
How did the problem occur?
Organizations must monitor the MuleSoft Anypoint Platform to make sure their apps are functioning properly and effectively. Yet, it wasn’t always an easy procedure. Monitoring was a labor- and money-intensive manual task in the early days of MuleSoft. To find problems and improve performance, developers would have to manually check logs, analytics, and other data.
These and other tools and features have made it simpler than ever to monitor the MuleSoft Anypoint Platform. These solutions allow businesses to monitor the operation of their apps, spot problems early and promptly fix them, and receive insightful information about their overall performance. Delivering better client experiences, increasing operational effectiveness, and promoting corporate success are all made feasible as a result.
Steps to solve the problem:
Here is the step-by-step process you will need to perform in order to monitor the AnyPoint platform APIs via Dynatrace.
Step 1: Install ActiveGate on Windows
Before we can start monitoring Anypoint Platform APIs via Dynatrace, we need to install ActiveGate in Windows. ActiveGate is a lightweight software component that provides connectivity between the monitored environment and Dynatrace.
- Sign in to Dynatrace, select Deploy Dynatrace from the navigation menu, and select Install ActiveGate.
- Run the installation package and follow the instructions to install ActiveGate in Windows.
- After installation, open the Deployment Status and see if it is successful or not.
- After successful installation, you will see the Update Status (Up to Date) as follows:
Step 2: Create an Anypoint Connected App in the Anypoint Platform
To monitor Anypoint Platform APIs via Dynatrace, we need to create a Connected App in Anypoint Platform. The Connected App is used to authenticate requests to the Anypoint Platform APIs.
- Log in to Anypoint Platform and go to the “Access Management” section.
- Click on the “Connected Apps” tab and then click on “New Connected App”.
- Enter a name for the Connected App, select the required scopes (View Organization, View Environment, Read Applications, View APIs Configuration), and click on “Create”.
- Make a note of the Client ID and Client Secret as we will need them later.
Step 3: Use the Mulesoft Cloudhub (Extension v2) and Configure it.
Under Extensions on the left menu, search for the custom Extension “Mulesoft Cloudhub”.
Add a monitoring configuration.
- Mulesoft Domain URL
- Your Mulesoft account can be accessed via this Address, which is typically https://anypoint.mulesoft.com.
- This is https://eu1.anypoint.mulesoft.com for Europe.
- This is https://gov.anypoint.mulesoft.com for Government Cloud.
- Mulesoft Client ID
- Copy the Client ID from the associated app you made.
- Mulesoft Client Secret
- Copy the Client Secret from the associated app you made.
- Mulesoft Organization/Business Group ID
- Optional; if left blank, the organisation ID set by default will be utilised.
- All organisations are listed at https://anypoint.mulesoft.com/accounts/businessGroups.
- How often should we collect data
- Environments filter
- You can choose to filter the data so that it only monitors specific environments and applications.
- These filters behave as “contains”
- Several filters can be used with a single monitoring configuration.
- You can set up a proxy here if you need to utilise one to access the Mulesoft API.
Step 4: Verification and Final Steps
Let’s wait for almost 5 more minutes and you will be able to see that the Status is OK.
- After a couple of minutes (Say 5). You will see OK Status and that is what we want. Perfect!
- Simply Go ahead and Click on Go to Dashboard Green Button to see all the Mulesoft Platform APIs, Organization, Workers, CPU and a lot more things.